Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Fall Semester Reflection

This is in response to this post.

1.  Yes, I read my colleagues' work online.  I would say I do it at least once a week, but it varies.  Generally, the more open-ended an assignment is, the more likely I am to check other blogs.  It's interesting seeing what other people think of the same topic, especially if it's a creative work like the Allegory of the Cave sonnets.  There is a huge variety of styles, and it's a good way of seeing what a good approach to the assignment is.  Reading peoples' literature analysis has helped me decide on what books I want to read myself.  That said, I don't typically check my classmates' blogs before doing my own post, unless I am totally stumped on what to write.  I like to get my ideas down as the occur "naturally".  Working together is important, but so is individualism.  The merit of collaboration comes from the summation of many individuals' own thoughts.2.  The central course blog extends the class experience outside of the classroom.  It embodies the idea that we're never really done learning.  To be honest, this isn't always a completely positive experience.  When I already have other classes piling on the work, having what appears to be an ever-present class can feel oppressive.  It's not like other classes where once I leave the room I can switch off that line of thinking until it's time to do homework.  However, it's really the same case as with any Internet based social media.  With Facebook, for example, people are constantly "plugged in" to their social life.  In the end, the benefits of the class blog outweigh the costs.  It provides a single definitive hub for class activities, and it's comforting knowing that all that information is just a click away.  Even a simple feature such as the blog archive is deceptively innovative.  Without it, I'd actually have to write down homework assignments and journal topics everyday (which would be a pain, to say the least).  Additionally, it provides a visual record of what we have done in the class.  I get a bit of satisfaction looking over the course blog.  It's a bit like looking through a notebook filled with notes at the end of the year (other people get satisfaction from this, right?).

3.  While I'd like to think that I would put out my best quality work regardless of who is reading it, having it publicly available does add an element of (good) pressure to writing.  From what I've found, all good writing is personal to some extent.  Having an audience, even if they are all silent (or spam bots), introduces an interesting dynamic.  How should I balance personal input with public appropriateness?  How much is too much?  Public availability means that I have to write with a nonspecific audience in mind.  I would still take the course in the absence of blog requirements, but I would certainly miss it.  Even disregarding the benefits of connectivity, I've found that this blog does a far better job of organizing than I do.

4.  Most of the learning definitely happens outside the classroom.  Almost all the labor of discovery is done outside, while class time is dedicated mostly to discussion.  As a result, the classroom almost feels secondary, as far as a learning environment goes.

5.  When describing the class to others, I break it down into three major parts.  One is the typical English class experience.  We still read books, write essays, and memorize vocab.  The other two, which are collaboration and technology, are more interesting.  I focus on describing how the class allows for a more natural working process ("natural", as in unrestrained work, not necessarily what is natural for school).  After a semester of it, I've gotten pretty used the idea of open source learning.

6.  Responses vary.  Some are perplexed, some feign interest, and some are genuinely intrigued.  The genuinely intrigued ones are really the only ones I worry about, at least as far as describing the course goes.  A lot of people are interested, but don't quite understand all of the details.

7.  I take a measure of pride in being part of something innovative, but I can't honestly say other peoples' responses mean a whole lot to me.  I'll continue doing what I'm doing regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment