“It's happened to all of us: there's sunlight and shade, spots and patterns of colour, your mind is elsewhere - so you don't make out what is right in front of you.”
“Tigers go woof when they are caught unawares, a short, sharp detonation of fury that would instantly make your legs jump up and run away if they weren't frozen to the spot.”
- Hyperbole- Right now in Tokyo, in Panama City, in Madras, in Honolulu, why, even
in Winnipeg, red lights were blinking on consoles, alarm bells were ringing, eyes were opening wide in horror, mouths were gasping, "My God! The has sunk!"
- Onomatopoeia- “it went yip in a high-pitched way”
- Metonymy-“ Beholding a vast expanse of shifting water”
- Simile and or Metaphor -It is ugly beyond redemption. Its thick neck and high shoulders that slope to the hindquarters look as if they've come from a discarded prototype for the giraffe, and its shaggy, coarse coat seems to have been patched together from the leftovers of creation.
- Direct Characterization -Father would be unshaven and disheveled.
- Indirect Characterization- I imagined Ravi would greet me first and with a tease. "What's this?" he would say. "You find yourself a great big lifeboat and you fill it with animals? You think you're Noah or something?"
“I burst into hot tears. I buried my face in my crossed arms and sobbed. My situation was patently hopeless.”
"Tell me, what is coconut yam kootu?"
"Nothing short of heaven, that's what.”
“I fished with a variety of hooks at a variety of depths for a variety of fish, from deep-sea fishing with large hooks and many sinkers to surface fishing with smaller hooks and only one or two sinkers.”
“Salvation. An hour of heavy, delicious, beautifal rain.”
“The clouds looked as if they were stumbling along before the wind, frightened.”
When it is day, you are hot and wish to be cool and dream of ice cream and pour sea water on yourself. When it is night you are cold and wish to be warm and dream of hot curries; and wrap yourself in blankets.