Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Seventh Reading

Justin Thompson and I chose to read poems only by Edgar Allen Poe.  For one, I usually enjoy Poe's writing.  Additionally, we figured that by choosing three poems by the same poet, we would be able to analyze the differences in prose of each one.  The ones we chose differ in rhyming scheme, theme, or both.  Here's what we read:




I'll be honest, we didn't read all of them the full seven times, but we did read them out loud several times.  The order I have listed them is more or less in order of comprehension.  "Epigram for Wall Street" was short and straightforward.  There was, to my knowledge, very little room for interpretation.  "Eldorado" was also fairly straightforward, but there were also layers to understanding it (what does Eldorado represent to the main character?).  "Enigma" was extremely difficult to understand, to the point that I have only a very vague idea of what Poe was going for.  We'll make sure to pay more attention to "Enigma" when working more with the poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment