Monday, September 3, 2012

Literary Analysis Choice: Brave New World

For the first literary analysis, I've chosen to reader Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley.  Interestingly, I had this book in mind since my first blog post, before I knew we would be selecting from AP readings.  1984 was my favorite book read for school, and the dystopian ties between them are obvious.  I really enjoy  dystopian settings.  There is an inherent tension in them that seems to be unique to the genre.  It's not quite the same as horror (although Room 101 was rather horrifying), and it's not "ordinary" science fiction.  The frightening parts of a dystopia are what lies beneath the surface--whispered inferences and veiled threats.  The structure of creating a precariously ordered environment, then usurping it in a single character's rebellion (all while building towards a theme of humanity, normality, and individualism) makes for a compelling story.  I'm hoping for a similar experience in Brave New World.  If not, I'll at least have a broader sampling of the genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment