Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Time of My Life

I wrote on Friday's journal topic (which I forgot to turn in, again...) that I planned to pursue discussion of my SMART goal during the class "Free Play".  Predictably, my plans got hijacked.  Luckily, it was still a somewhat productive discussion.  We ended up discussing Justin Thompson's nature blog, which I am a co-author and sorta-editor for (I just do superficial grammar checks at my discretion).  The bulk of what we talked about was publicity.  What direction did Justin want to take the blog?  He expressed a desire to make the blog more professional before sharing it.

A couple ideas were thrown around regarding publicity, from Facebook sharing to Reddit posts.  As far as content goes, we also mulled on the idea of theme weeks.  Early in the year Justin covered a number of snails over the course of the week, included the scaly foot gastropod, a personal favorite of mine.  From this spawned a running joke of the blog's "Snail Week", analogous to Discovery Channel's Shark Week.  Given that one of the difficulties of writing for the blog is deciding on a research topic, we figured that themed weeks would be doubly useful.

We also considered branching out the blog to cover other topics, such as biology and genetics, rather than just unique lifeforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment