Monday, February 25, 2013

writingas5pectatorsport

 I found a bunch of these on Christa Weston's blog (good job getting so many people to write!).  Take a look at her blog if you've got a shortage of essays.

Conor McNamara
Conor has an extremely..."intense" writing style.  From the occasionally coarse language to the scathingly caustic pop-culture references, it's pretty easy to pick out Conor's writing from a group.  With that in mind, I would advise keeping the audience in mind.  Practicing a little more moderation would probably be wise for something like the AP exam (I have no idea if he typically does).  That said, Conor's violent style is also one of his strengths -- the essay certainly has character.  It would be a shame to lose that to an AP grading rubric.

Hayden Robel
I'll be honest, I couldn't really read all of the essay.  By that I mean I could really only see the pre-write structure.  Regardless, the structure looks fine for the restricted amount of time it was done in.  It's certainly more elaborate than my "two word phrases and arrows" strategy.  Also, it seems like Hayden got a lot of writing done in such a short amount of time.  I personally find the time constraints to be the hardest part of essay exams, so being a quick thinker is certainly beneficial.

Alex Lane (blog)
Call of the Wild was an unexpected but extremely appropriate choice for the prompt.  I like the ideas that Alex got down onto paper, and there's plenty of depth in the novel he chose to support a full length essay.  The pre-write leaves a bit to be desired, but it's not like mine was any more extensive.

Bernardo Gonzalez (blog)
I can see pretty clearly where Bernardo was going with his ideas, but unfortunately the essay never really got started.  I'm guessing this can be attributed mostly to the pre-write taking too long.  In that case, simply keeping an eye on the clock would do wonders.  It seems like Bernardo had all the right ideas, but just didn't have enough time to get them onto paper.

William Boerger (blog)
Given the time limit, Will got a lot of content down on the paper, both in terms of pre-writing and the essay itself.  The introduction sets up a clear stance, and I like where the essay was headed.  There were a few nit-picky grammar errors, but I'm pretty sure everybody makes those with so little time to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment